Isnin, Julai 03, 2006

Man calls 911 after legs severed by train

Man calls 911 after legs severed by train:
A North Texas railroad worker whose legs were severed when he was run over by a train Sunday morning managed to make a call that may have saved his life.

While workers at Gunderson Southwest Yard in Cleburne were coupling cars, 36-year-old Truman Duncan slipped beneath the wheels of the train cars.

However, somehow Duncan managed to dial 911 and talk to an operator.

"I just got run over by the rail cars," he said in the call. "I need 911, CareFlite. I think I'm cut in two. I need everyone to hurry up now."

The recorded call captured the surprise of the 911 operator:

Operator: "Tell me where you are."

Duncan: "I'm at Gunderson Southwest."

Operator: "Someone got run over by a railcar?"

Duncan: "Yes ma'm. I'm about to pass out."

Operator: "You got ran over?"

Duncan: "Yes."

Trapped beneath the wheels, Duncan stayed on the line detailing his location and describing his condition.

"I think I'm going into sh-sh-shock," he said while on the line.

Horrified colleagues soon found him and made their own frantic calls.

"I got a guy got run over by a car," one fellow worker said in a 911 call. "I need CareFlite. I need ambulances."

The calls confirmed what Duncan told the operator; he had been cut in half.

Cleburne firefighters said they couldn't believe the man they found was the one who had made the call.

"Absolutely amazing," a firefighter said.

Firefighters used airbags to lift the rail car, but they say it was Duncan's extraordinary calm courage that got them there in time.

Duncan remained in critical condition Wednesday night, but officials said they are optimistic that he will survive.
Related post: , , , ,

Tiada ulasan:

Catat Ulasan